What we do:
- Management of ownership:
Nurture, develop and support. File for and sustain regulatory status.
- Financing of the institutions:
Provide growth equity in the early years. Reinvest earnings. Assist in developing deposit and funding base.
- Build diaconal identity:
Enhancing the institutions with our Christian values, expressed through a strong focus on poverty alleviation, supporting the weakest, aiding those that otherwise fall outside of the traditional institutions, and on efficacy in all parts of the value chain.
- Entries into new geographical areas:
Capitalize on expertise and resources
How we are different:
- Being a non-profit manager, serving for-profit microfinance institutions. A balanced profit-driven and developmental motivation is the best means to ensure a competitive landscape for credit and a good quality of service to clients.
- We are adventurous in our presence, yet consistent and careful in our approach
- We take pride in being pro-active owners, while allowing the management sufficient operational freedom.
- We work in partnership with Mission Alliance: microfinance has the highest impact when provided together with community development services.
- We promote knowledge sharing and information flow between microfinance researchers and practitioners by co-hosting The Norwegian Centre for Microfinance Research.
- We are lean and efficient: operating expenses of only 0,57 % of assets.
Social Performance Management
As a value-driven Christian organization AMAS adheres to the industry standard Client Protection Principles, and performs periodic monitoring of these principles. AMAS provides data to MFTransparency in all countries where transparent interest rate pricing information is published. In addition, we take the welfare of children extremely seriously and all loan officers are trained in both the Client Protection Principles and the national laws regarding child labor. This involves active monitoring of practices of both staff and the families which we lend to, identification of high-risk clients, periodic monitoring and public reporting of our performance.In addition we capture “Progress Out of Poverty Index” (PPI) data of all clients. AMAS wants to take a lead in the
microfinance sector in terms of enforcement of ethical treatment of clients and their children.